Monday, July 14, 2008

Qualia, Language, and Butterflies

I believe in something philosophers call qualia. Qualia are, basically, what human experience is like. If a blind person asked you what it's like to see red, you'd be hard-pressed to describe it adequately. Red is something you simply experience. Consider another example: What is it like to taste something? Maybe you think you can answer that question by replying "sweet," "sour," "chewy," "crunchy," etc. And I would say, "Yes, that's correct, but what is the experience of tasting something sweet like? How can you describe it to someone who has never tasted something sweet?" You can't, or at least I don't believe you can, but it exists as a quality of your experience. Lots of people disagree with me, though, and my view might well be in the minority.

Anyway, I believe that there some experiences in life that are simply ineffable. They can't be described properly in words. Qualia are ineffable. So is the feeling in my stomach as I write this. The closest approximation in English is to say that there are butterflies in my stomach. What does that mean? I can't say.

No comments:

© 2009 by David Penner and Soojeong Han. Some rights reserved. Licensed as CC BY-NC-SA.