Thursday, December 6, 2007

August Rush

August Rush is the sort of movie that's ridiculous, contrived, absurd, and predictable. Its presentation is equal parts frantic and frenetic. It's like watching one long music video. I didn't need to watch the trailer to know what was going to happen--although I could have done that if I had known beforehand that I was going to see it. Regardless, after the first few minutes, I knew exactly how the movie was going to end.

Somewhat embarrassingly, however, I enjoyed myself throughout. From its preposterous plot--a plot, by the way, that owes a huge debt to Dickens' Oliver Twist--to its shallow characters, I bought into the fairy tale story it wanted to tell. And, hey, why not? No doubt kids'll love it; it made me feel like one. Not to mention: It has a great soundtrack.

No comments:

© 2009 by David Penner and Soojeong Han. Some rights reserved. Licensed as CC BY-NC-SA.