Saturday, August 11, 2007

Grad School

If I had had upwards of $100,000 at the start of my undergrad, I would have applied for admission at St. John's College. The Great Books curriculum appeals to me, and I strongly prefer the seminar-based pedagogy.

I don't regret the route I took, not least because I managed to graduate debt-free, and that gives me a lot more freedom today. But even though I've graduated, I've not given up on attending St. John's College. The Graduate Institute at Santa Fe is one of the ways I might spend my savings from my time teaching abroad. I'd have to teach for a couple of years to save enough to pay for it, but I could do that, and it's one of the few routes through grad school that would excite and interest me. I've read a lot of the Western Classics already--still not enough to satisfy me!--but everything in the Eastern Classics program would be new to me. Plus, I could do the degree in a year.

No comments:

© 2009 by David Penner and Soojeong Han. Some rights reserved. Licensed as CC BY-NC-SA.