Sunday, August 5, 2007

Double Feature

I'm old enough to remember the old Transformers cartoons, so the prospect of a feature film stirred powerful feelings of nostalgia within me. I saw it last week, and I'm happy to report that the film itself left me thoroughly satisfied. For what it is, it works well. An online acquaintance likened the experience to Batman Begins and The Matrix. I think that's about right, as far as these things go.

The only movie I was more excited about this summer was released on Friday. That would be the Bourne Ultimatum. Matt Damon does a fantastic job in the first two Bourne movies of playing the too-cool title character, and both Identity and Supremacy are extraordinarily well directed; the third installment, it seems, only improves on its predecessors. What's more, the estimable Roger Ebert--whose recovery and return to the Chicago Sun-Times is another welcome development--heartily recommends it.

No comments:

© 2009 by David Penner and Soojeong Han. Some rights reserved. Licensed as CC BY-NC-SA.