Friday, May 4, 2007

My Name's Serendipity, What's Yours?

I can see that there'll be several benefits to my TEFL class. Certainly, I'm glad I decided to take it, despite the non-negligible cost of doing so. But one thing I didn't expect was to meet someone else intent on teaching English abroad at the same time as me. We're two of only three university (soon-to-be) grads in the class. The other one wants to teach English in China so that he can be with his girlfriend, who lives there.

Anyway, this woman I met is a psychology major, interested in grad school but also interested in some time away from academia. I can relate to that, definitely. We're both the same age. And we're both set on going, alone or not, but we'd both love to have company. It's a bit premature to make plans now, but we talked about it a bit today, and things might work out well. We'll see. Employers love to hire two people who know each other because it reduces the risk of homesickness, which leads to broken contracts, which cost them money. So we'd have that going for us.

No comments:

© 2009 by David Penner and Soojeong Han. Some rights reserved. Licensed as CC BY-NC-SA.