Sunday, July 1, 2007

50,000 Songs Later

For almost three years now, last.fm has logged the music I've played on my computer and on my iPod. The website generates personalized charts, recommendations, and radio stations based on its users' listening habits. And like every other website these days, there are plenty of social networking features thrown in. Anyway, the number of tracks recorded on my profile just exceeded 50,000. So I thought it'd be a good time to take stock. Here are my top 15 artists:

Bob Dylan
Lucinda Williams
Townes Van Zandt
The White Stripes
Bruce Springsteen
Alejandro Escovedo
Rodney Crowell
Ryan Adams
Feist
Dwight Yoakam
Patty Griffin
The Hold Steady
Emmylou Harris
Guy Clark
Frank Zappa

Ryan Adams would be right near Lu Williams if you added all of his myriad incarnations together. I've no doubt that Albert King would be on the list if only I'd discovered him a year earlier. Lastly, while I listen to a lot of indie rock, the flavor-of-the-month aspect to it means that, with few exceptions, you don't see it show up anywhere near the top of the list.

No comments:

© 2009 by David Penner and Soojeong Han. Some rights reserved. Licensed as CC BY-NC-SA.